Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Learning French in Japan?

Last night was our first unofficial event with students. Several students came to our house and enjoyed making dinner together and playing games. It was fun to be able to spend this time with them  to again continue building relationships. Today my friend Haruna gave me a small tour of Shizuoka University. We went to lunch in the cafeteria, and she helped me to order. Following our lunch and some time of talking, her French teacher invited me to attend class with her. Today I had the opportunity to learn French in a Japanese classroom setting. Haruna was so sweet trying to translate both the Japanese and the French into English for me, but thankfully French is close enough to Spanish that my head was not completely spinning. 

As these relationships continue to develop, please pray:
1) I will have patience and be willing to see what God is already doing here. (Habakkuk 1:5)
2) I will fully understand that God will not leave His work unfinished. (Philippians 1:6)
3) "I'm not here to even be relevant or successful by human standards. I'm here to please [Him]." (Galatians 1:10) (31 Days of Praise, Ruth Myers)

It is easy for me to see everything as a project. Please pray that I will continue to see these relationships as actual people and not just another project that God has placed in front of me. I have a disconnect somewhere that inhibits me from realizing that people are individuals who think and feel and hope in all the same ways that I do. They have a future too, and this future is not just a task to check off the list.


No comments:

Post a Comment